WWW.MAGELLANO.ORG"

Ritorna al Portale
Oggi è 19/04/2024, 1:10

Tutti gli orari sono UTC +1 ora [ ora legale ]

Si comunica a tutti gli utenti che solamente dopo i saluti e la loro presentazione saranno completamente abilitati al Forum - Si prega inoltre di leggere il Nuovo Regolamento. Grazie!

Regole del forum

HAI LETTO IL REGOLAMENTO DEL FORUM? - TI SEI PRESENTATO? - HAI FATTO UNA RICERCA PRIMA DI CHIEDERE?

Apri un nuovo argomento Rispondi all’argomento  [ 13 messaggi ]  Vai alla pagina 1, 2  Prossimo
Autore Messaggio
 Oggetto del messaggio: Fregate Britanniche, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
MessaggioInviato: 17/04/2015, 13:25 
Non connesso

cognome e nome: n/a
SLR0005

Scale: 1:48.

A contemporary full hull model of a 40-gun two-decker (circa 1685), built plank on frame in the Navy Board style. Model is partially decked, equipped and rigged. The masts and spars are original but the standing and running rigging was replaced in 1939 by Arthur Waite, under supervision of Dr R.C. Anderson. It shows the unusual rigging detail of lower catharpins for drawing or `tightening’ in the shrouds.
The model represents one of several experimental designs for a class of two-decker warships with unusually large dimensions for the period. At this scale it has a gun deck length of 123 feet by 34 feet in the beam and a tonnage of approximately 560 burden.

Overall: 1100 mm x 1060 mm x 470 mm

Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.

Profilo  

Oggetto del messaggio: Re: Fregate Britanniche, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
MessaggioInviato: 17/04/2015, 14:11 
Non connesso

SLR0012

A contemporary full hull model of a 22-gun sixth-rate frigate (circa 1725), built plank on frame in the Navy Board style. Model is decked and partially equipped with a wheel and capstan, the whole of which is mounted on a contemporary wooden baseboard. At this scale, the model represent a vessel measuring 107 feet along the gun deck by 28 feet in the beam and a tonnage of approximately 370 burden. This model is pierced for 22 guns and illustrates the development of the sloop in the first quarter of the 18th century. The single ballast port on the lower deck would suggest that the model may demonstrate the change from the single-deck 20-gun ships of the beginning of the century to the two deck type with the two lower deck ports, introduced in the 1733 Establishments. The smaller ports on the lower deck were for operating the large oars, known as 'sweeps’, if the ship was becalmed. The single and larger port amidships was for loading ballast.

Overall model: 200 x 795 x 200 mm; Baseboard: 120 x 865 x 260 mm

Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.

Profilo  

Oggetto del messaggio: Re: Fregate Britanniche, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich
MessaggioInviato: 17/04/2015, 19:39 
Non connesso

SLR0226

A contemporary full hull model of the ‘Dolphin’ (1731), a 20-gun ship, built in the Georgian style.
The model is decked and on an original base with one half built as a slipway with keel blocks. The port side depicts the ship as built, while the starboard side shows it converted into a fireship as in 1747.
The model has been made to show how the combustible material was secured in the hold and on deck. It also illustrates the layout of the ventilating shafts together with gun port lids that hinge downwards which would stay open to maintain the draught for the fire. Sailing or sending fireships on a tide onto an enemy fleet at anchor was an ancient form of warfare that was still in use up until the beginning of the 19th century.
A skeleton crew would stay on board to set the charges before quickly escaping through the large ‘sally-port’ on either side of the ships quarter, taking to the boats towed astern.
The ‘Dolphin’ was a 20-gun sixth rate built at Deptford Dockyard in 1731, measuring 106 feet along the gun deck by 30 feet in the beam and a tonnage of 428 burden.
It was renamed ‘Penguin’ in 1755 and eventually captured by the French in 1760.

Overall model: 200 x 786 x 200 mm; Slipway base: 120 x 910 x 255 mm

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: 18/04/2015, 9:48 
Non connesso

SLR0228

Scale: 1:84.

A contemporary full hull model of the 'Tartar' (1734), a 20-gun sixth-rate sloop, built plank on frame in the hybrid style of both Navy Board and Georgian. The model is partially decked, equipped and fully rigged with sails furled and set. The sails and rigging are believed to be largely contemporary, and as such are said to be the earliest examples of sails in existence. An important feature of the sails is the presence of the jib on the bowsprit, which had replaced the spritsail topsail, and the driver, which was developing out of the lateen on the mizzenmast. This model also illustrates rare and true example of plank on frame construction as a pair of hull planks have been omitted to show the internal hull framing. The 'Tartar’ was rebuilt from a 32-gun ship of the same name and measured 106 feet in length by 30 feet in the beam and had a tonnage of 430 burden. In 1740, it was operating off the coast of Florida and was in the East Indies between 1749-51. The 'Tartar’ was finally broken up in 1755.

Overall model: 440 x 560 x 223 mm; Base: 75 x 457 x 200 mm

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: 18/04/2015, 14:24 
Non connesso

SLR0315

Scale 1:32.
Built at this slightly larger and unusual scale, the model is a fine example of the Georgian style of modelling, with a fully planked hull and partially planked decks. The hull is constructed 'bread-and-butter’ fashion, of wooden planks glued together horizontally and then shaped externally to fit templates taken from the building plans. The wooden core is then gouged out internally to produce a shell of about an inch thick, over which the planking, deck beams and decoration are applied. The model has been made to a high standard of workmanship and includes some fittings not always shown, such as the compass binnacle just forward of the wheel, shot racks between the guns, the hammock-netting stanchions and swivel guns on the ship's side.

Overall model: 390 x 1420 x 370 mm; Base: 70 x 1565 x 522 mm

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: 18/04/2015, 17:30 
Non connesso

SLR0317

A contemporary full hull model 'Minerva' (1780), a 38-gun frigate, built in 'bread and butter' fashion, planked and finished in the Georgian style.
Model is partially decked, equipped and mounted on modern hull crutches.
It has been identified by comparison to the original ship plans held in the NMM collection, as well as by the presence of a carved owl on the stern decoration, a figure associated with the 'Minerva’. Built at the Royal Dockyard, Woolwich, it had a gun deck length of 141 feet by 39 feet in the beam and a tonnage of 940 (builders old measurement). The 'Minerva’ was the first of a group of five 38-gun frigates built with identical dimensions. It took part in Admiral William Hotham’s action off Genoa in 1795 and was later renamed 'Pallas’ in 1798. It was eventually sold for breaking up in 1803.

Overall model: 260 x 1060 x 260 mm; Base: 145 x 870 x 245 mm

Continua . .

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: 18/04/2015, 17:31 
Non connesso

continuazione . .

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: 18/04/2015, 23:19 
Non connesso

ZBA0430

A model of a longitudinal section of HMS Pique (1834) showing its method of construction and internal layout and made entirely in wood with metal fittings.
The framing, hull, and deck planking are made from wood of various varieties and colours, all unpainted.
The port side is shown in frame below the waterline and almost fully planked above with channels and deadeyes in position. Hull fittings and details include, on the port side, a cathead, whisker boom with block attached to one end, female figure head, a stern davit and port quarter gallery.
The single maindeck is shown partly planked and fittings include provision for three masts, capstan, and double wheel. The starboard side is shown unfinished with only the lower frames in position, though the keel, stempost, sternpost, and deadwood are all complete.
The frames and some of the planks, the gundeck, maindeck, and orlop deck are shown, all incomplete showing their construction, internal arrangement, access, and some fittings.
Loose fittings include two standard admiralty pattern anchors, bowsprit, and a box of loose fittings.

Overall: 235 mm x 1400 mm x 270 mm

Allegato:
large.jpg
Allegato:
large (1).jpg
Allegato:
large (2).jpg
Allegato:
large (3).jpg

SLR0090

A contemporary full hull model of the frigate ‘Pique’ (1834), complete with stump masts and mounted on its original wooden baseboard. Launched at Devonport Dockyard in 1834, the ‘Pique’ was one of the first of a new class of medium-sized frigates designed by Sir William Symonds, Chief Surveyor of the Navy. Measuring 160 feet along the gun deck by 48 feet in the beam and a tonnage of 1633, it was a fast sailer, but excessive pitching and rolling severely limited the use of its 32-pounder armament. In 1835, on a voyage from Canada to England, it lost its rudder, but managed to reach home safely with a jury-rigged one (see SLR0749). It then saw action in 1837 at San Sebastian, Spain, giving assistance the Foreign Legion and a year later was sent to Mexico to protect British interests against French invasion at San Juan de Ulloa, Vera Cruz. In 1840, it was sent to Syria where there was a threat of war with Egypt and later in 1854-55, took part in the Crimean War, on the Pacific coast of Russia. ‘Pique’ was to end its days as an isolation hospital at Devonport from 1871 to 1910 and was eventually broken up by shipbreakers Cox in Falmouth.

Overall model: 399 x 1303 x 329 mm; Support: 6 x 43 mm; Support: 53 x 43 mm

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: 19/04/2015, 19:00 
Non connesso

SLR0318

A contemporary full hull model of the 'Mermaid' (1784), a 32-gun frigate, built in 'bread and butter' fashion, planked and finished in the Georgian style.
Model is partially decked and equipped, and is mounted on its launching cradle in a slipway, depicting the vessel prior to launch.
On deck there is a full set of launching flags including from the bow, the Union Jack, Admiralty flag with foul anchor motif, Royal Standard and furthest aft, the Union flag.
As part of the base unit there is a drawer at one end, which hides a separate section of slipway. Once pulled out, it doubles the length of the slip. A small catch can then be depressed which releases the model down slipway. The stern decoration is typical for this period where the style of carving is crisp and finished with clear varnish, even down to the name plaque mounted on the counter.
The 'Mermaid’ was present at the capture of Toulon in 1793 and, later, in 1798 whilst in the West Indies, it is credited with the capture of three French warships. In 1797 it captured a Spanish packet off Corunna, before finally being broken up in 1815.

Overall model: 520 x 960 x 235 mm; Slipway base: 205 x 1070 x 435 mm

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: 21/04/2015, 19:21 
Non connesso

SLR0316

A contemporary full hull model of the ‘Winchelsea’ (circa 1764) a frigate of 32 guns.
The model is partially decked, fully planked on the starboard side, with exposed frames on the port side.
This model is one of several commissioned by Lord Sandwich, First Lord of the Admiralty, to encourage George III’s and the Prince of Wales’s interest in the navy.
Not surprisingly for a royal commission, the workmanship is of the highest standard. Because of the high profile of the project, it has been possible to establish by research through the state papers and Admiralty records that a Mr Burrough was paid for the ‘carved work’, and that the model was built at Woolwich Dockyard.
J. Williams built the ‘Winchelsea’ at Sheerness to the designs of Sir Thomas Slade, who also designed Nelson’s ‘Victory’. It measured 125 feet along the gun deck by 35 feet in the beam and was 680 tons burden.
After a fairly quiet career in the Mediterranean, West Indies and Newfoundland, the ‘Winchelsea’ became a convalescent ship at Chatham in 1803, before being sold in 1815.

Overall model: 240 x 945 x 230 mm; Base: 200 x 1018 x 280 mm

Profilo  

Apri un nuovo argomento Rispondi all’argomento  [ 13 messaggi ]  Vai alla pagina 1, 2  Prossimo

Tutti gli orari sono UTC +1 ora [ ora legale ]